Sunday, May 11, 2008

People I Remember; Part 2

So how many people doubted I would follow up the first installment with a second? Anyone besides me? Yes, I must say I surprised myself. Without further ado, let's get into it.

SFC Elvis Holloway

A section chief in our fire support platoon when I was stationed in Hawaii, Sergeant First Class Elvis Holloway made a big impression on me during my final deployment to the Big Island (Hawaii). After a week of field exercise on the observation post at Puu Ahi we came back to base camp for showers, restocking and rest.
I cleaned my truck, took a shower and met a few of the guys from another platoon to head up to the ad-hoc tavern located at the camp. The weather was getting cooler, so I told the others I would meet them there and went back inside to grab my field jacket. On the way down the aisle to my bunk I passed Sergeant Holloway and said a quick hello. I grabbed my jacket and turned around to head back outside. When I passed Sergeant Holloway's bunk he stepped out into the aisle to meet me.

"Lyerla, I've been watching you. I know you were raised right, you know the Bible and the right things to say, but those friends of yours are taking you straight to Hell. You don't know it, but I've been praying for you."

I was stunned. Someone I knew only on a professional basis was able to see through the wall of religious knowledge I had built to hide behind. Suddenly I was standing there trying to think of a way to respond and get out of there as soon as I could. We stood there for what seemed like an hour, and all I could think to say was "Yeah, you're probably right, and I sure appreciate it sergeant." and a weak laugh, hoping to lighten the mood.
He didn't bite. "I'm gonna keep praying for you." he said, then stepped out of the aisle and back to his bunk. I told him thank you, then headed out the door and up to meet my friends. End of episode. We never talked about it again, but I never forgot that encounter and the fact that Sergeant Holloway was always praying for me. Even fifteen years later I think about that day, and wonder if there is any way he could know how my life has turned out. I give God the glory for my family, friends and the security that has replaced my "wall", and want Sergeant Holloway to know how God used him to bring me here.

No comments: