Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Staying out of Ruts

I used to be good at this. Back in college when we would need to fill space in the newspaper I was the guy. Whether it was an entirely new piece of writing or "fluffing" an existing story,I would sit down at a computer, begin typing and the words would flow. Right now I am simply keeping my fingers moving in the hope of getting traction enough to pull me out of the writing "rut" I find myself in right now.

Just when I reach the brink of something a slick patch comes out of nowhere and puts be back to square one. Little things like "avoid passive voice", don't start/end a sentence with a preposition, and asking myself "How many times did I use 'I' in the last sentence?" keep throwing off my concentration. This isn't for a grade, just write SOMETHING! I shouldn't have to worry about AP style or Strunk and White just to jot down a blog posting, right? Right?

So here we go...
The Lyerlas are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Gracyn sometime between the end of May and the end of June. Nancy's doctor-ordered bed rest is in its 3rd week with 4 more to go. In her excitement to see our family Gracyn tried to make her appearance a few weeks early. It took some time in the hospital to convince her to wait a bit longer. Sunday evening we went back into the hospital because the contractions were happening more frequently than the nurse liked. Fortunately another stay wasn't necessary. Those of you who know Nancy can understand she's not the bed-rest type, and I can't say I blame her.

Members of our church have been unbelievable at providing for our spiritual and physical needs over the past weeks and we are truly thankful for their generosity and friendship.

Yesterday was my 35th birthday. Is it just me or do birthdays get more difficult to distinguish from other days the older you get? I remember counting down the weeks until my birthday, this year with everything else going on I honestly forgot until about a week before. (See, right now there is a fight going on in my mind about finding a different way to end the sentence without using a preposition)

Okay, gotta take care of some business. I'll be back!

1 comment:

Em said...

Happy belated birthday! And shame on us for not calling....