Monday, November 26, 2007

Time Got Away from Me!!

I just realized how long it had been since my last post. A friend sent me an article he thought I would find interesting. Interesting indeed, so I'm posting the link and welcome any discussion.

On Sunday mornings, most parents who don't believe in the Christian God, or any god at all, are probably making brunch or cheering at their kids' soccer game, or running errands or, with luck, sleeping in. Without religion, there's no need for church, right?


Read the entire article here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

re·li·gion /rɪˈlɪdʒən/ –noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

I say athiesm is a religion and this article further proves it. It is clearly a belief system. A belief system that atheist parents are *gasp* raising their children to believe and accept as their own. "Atheist parents appreciate this nurturing environment."

By the way, it's about time. I was starting to worry!

Leland said...

Great post Em.
One thing that jumped out at me as I read was the comment regarding the percentage of Americans who claim atheism was 14 percent, but rises to twenty percent between ages 18 and 25. Not sure what they're trying to show, but what I see is that atheism loses it's appeal over time.