Tuesday, December 12, 2006

We Cannot Forget. We Must Not Forget.

This story caught my eye as I was looking over FoxNews' website this evening. My first thought was "Is this the freedom that I signed up to protect?". The David Dukes and Fred Phelps' of the world?

As I read further I learned that this "meeting of the minds" occurred in Tehran, not on American soil. I realize however that Holocaust deniers, however absurd and reprehensible teach in our classrooms, sit in positions of authority and speak, perhaps not in the public arena, but among others who share their vile and twisted ideas. Whether driven by hatred, fear or a false sense of superiority, they all seem to view the Holocaust as a conspiracy, a fabrication or an exaggeration.

These groups pose an obvious danger. They thrive on bigotry, ignorance and hatred and use these things to spread their cause. In the world today they are held in check by the fact that no matter what they claim, too many witnesses to the atrocities are still alive to refute the lies and propaganda. But what happens in five, ten, twenty years?

I'll have more to add tomorrow...

No comments: